I’m a new member of the design team over at Papercraft Business Challenge and this is my first design team submission. I’m really excited about it and the card!
October 2020 – Challenge #32
Prize: Lawn Fawn – Winter Alpaca
Challenge starts on October 1st and closes on October 27sth. There will be one ultimate designer/winner and 5 top nominations. So head over to see the other team member designs and the other entries here.
I wanted to do something other than a shaker card, but I don’t have any of those interactive die sets. With that said, there is a card I’ve been wanting to try, but haven’t gotten around to it yet, and this is the perfect opportunity to do so. I wanted to create a slider card with flowers being moved up to reveal a (shaker) vase. There’s nothing to shake with this one but it does reveal a sentiment.
I made some mistakes while creating this card, but that was me not paying attention to some of the details – you can watch the video showing these mistakes at the beginning of this post.
- Simon Says Stamp and Die Set – Look for the Rainbows
- Vase Die
- Copic Markers – Yellows, Greens and Blue
- Heavy Weight Vellum
- Momento Tuxedo Black Ink Pad
- StazOn Jet Black Ink Pad
First, I die cut all the flowers and leaves I’m going to use and stamp them with the cut-out in my stamp positioner. (This will make the process faster, compared to stamping then die cutting each flower and leaf.) I laid out my cut flowers and leaves to give me an idea of their placement over the vase. Once I had an idea of my flower placement, I die cut half my vase. I didn’t die cut the entire vase, as the top of the vase would interfere with my slider mechanism. I die cut the lower half and used a blade to finish cutting out the paper.
After colouring my flowers and leaves with copics, I stamped, coloured and cut the background of my vase out of vellum. I attached this to the back of my card panel and went on to cut out my slider components.
As I said earlier, the first card panel I created with my vase, I made some mistakes – one was not taking measurements. At a minimum, I should have made some rough measurements. For this post, we’ll go through the second panel I created properly.
I took some rough measurements for my for the travel distance of my bouquet. I needed my flowers to travel roughly 2 inchs from the bottom of the card to the top of the vase. This would ensure that the top of my cut vase is covered when pulled up. Then I cut the slider opening in my card panel.
I cut a long strip of paper from a heavy weight cardstock. I glued a stopper on the bottom and added foam tape along the slider opening to create a track for my pull mechanism.
I glued my flowers to a piece of cardstock the same size as my card panel and cut the excess paper hanging off the side. This holds and reinforces my bouquet.
Putting the Card Together
Now it’s time to put my bouquet onto my slider. I added a small piece of foam tape to the slider tab, and tested the location of my bouquet in the up and down position, making adjustments as needed.
I trimmed the slider handle, cut out two small circle dies and glued them to the end of that handle. I then stamped an arrow on the front facing circle to indicate to the receiver to pull up.
That’s it! I’m really happy with how this turned out. I think it adds so much character to this card and will really WOW the receiver.
I look forward to seeing everyone’s entries over at Papercraft Challenge.
3D Words AECP Level 1 AECP Level 2 AECP Level 3 Alcohol Inks Alphabet Die Altenew Blending CardKit Cardmaking Challenge Christmas Copics Crepe Paper Crepe Paper Flowers Design Team Distress Oxide Inks dry eraser Foiling glider Glitter Hot Foil Markers Masculine Card PanPastels Papercraft Business Peonies Pink Ink Designs Silhouette Designs Simon Says Stamp Slimline Stamp stamping glider Stencil Storage and Decor Vinyl Watercoloring Zig ZIG Real Watercolor Brush Pens